• Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
  • Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
  • Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
  • I'm Glad They're Mine Too: Attachment parenting

    I'm Glad They're Mine Too

    The life of a SAHM with twin boys and a 4 year old little girl.

    Tuesday, January 02, 2007

    Attachment parenting

    So, I've been introduced to AP (Attachment Parenting). I pretty much do this anyway.
    http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bparentstyle/0,,489j,00.html

    It's pretty much following cues, breastfeeding, babywearing (slings), bedsharing, and no spanking..

    We do cosleep but that's only until they can sleep through the night. I follow their cues, I don't force them to do something because an arbitrary source says they should do this or that. Spanking, I admit, I have done this, but it doesn't work for her. I spanked her once, and she laughed and hit me back. Then what?? Spank her harder?? What is that teaching her? You piss me off and I'm gonna hit you harder? Sure it works for some kids I guess, but she is a different child.

    AP does NOT mean the child takes over. It means, for example, when the boys are say, 6 months old and they get into a breakable. I remove the breakable and put it somewhere where they can't get it. It means having realistic expectations for their age. And Kalynn is FOUR. Not 6, not 8 or even 14. She's going to be a little pain sometimes, and do things that we find inappropriate. She's still learning but that doesn't mean she won't ever do it again. She will. Just can't expect her to be perfectly behaved all the time. I have to remind myself that.

    I'm not perfect, I make mistakes. I'm still learning. So, all I can do is try my best.

    Anyway, that's it..I'll get pics up later.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home