• Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
  • Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
  • Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
  • I'm Glad They're Mine Too

    I'm Glad They're Mine Too

    The life of a SAHM with twin boys and a 4 year old little girl.

    Thursday, November 13, 2008

    I love Ryker's OT! I asked her about Kalynn and she explained to me what everything meant so everything makes sense!

    As I said in my previous post, she has trouble with visual closure and visual discrimination. She explained with visual closure, it's hard for her to look at a word, for example, with missing letters, and know what that word is. For example, she woulld have trouble with c_t in the hat, is cat in the hat. "Normal" brains can fill in the missing letters..

    Visual discrimination is where she can't tell between different words. Her teacher said she reads "not" as "in' and "in" as "not". She also gave the example of asking a child to get a spoon on a table with other stuff on it. A child with problems with visual discrimination can't see it.

    I noticed that she does have trouble with things like that. For example, I asked her to put her shoes up. Her shoes were on the floor, and of course, our floor has toys, etc on it. She couldn't see it. She'd pass right by it and not see it. I really thought she was just pulling my leg or just being difficult. But after the OT explained that, I don't think she saw her shoes.

    She also said that this is VERY common in kids with ADHD. Next time I see her, she's going to give me ideas on how to help her.

    1 Comments:

    • At 6:30 AM , Blogger Molly said...

      How nice of the OT to explain things to you. That was quite the diagnosis they gave to you. Hopefully you will be able to do more for Kalynn now. Good luck in it all. Sometimes, though, I think kids have selective hearing and selective sight. I'll tell my kids to pick up the toys on the floor and if they choose to hear me, they don't see the toys. :) They are just trying to get out of cleaning.

       

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home