• Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
  • Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
  • Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
  • I'm Glad They're Mine Too

    I'm Glad They're Mine Too

    The life of a SAHM with twin boys and a 4 year old little girl.

    Saturday, November 08, 2008

    This week was overall, pretty good.

    Thursday was a bit busy. We had an ARD, and honestly, I'm not sure what to make of it. I think most of you know that Kalynn is in special ed under OHI ( NF1) and speech impairment. She is receiving Speech and Occupational therapy for her handwriting. Any time you want to add a service, you have to have an ARD (Admission, Review, Dismissal), which is a meeting with the diagnostician, gen ed teacher, special ed teacher and an administrator (VP or principal) .

    Anyway, I was concerned with her reading. She told me that the words swirl and then disappear. They asked me to get her eyes checked but I can't see the opthamologist until Feb. So, from what I understand, there isn't much we can do until we know what's going on. If it's her vision, we can have someone with Region X (they work with the vision impaired) work with her.

    The OT did a visual perception test, and I'm still not quite understanding what it all means and how it impacts her reading. Here's an excerpt from it:

    OK, can anyone explain what this test is? This is what the report says:

    "...designed to assess ability to recognize and visualize an object or shape without having to reproduce it, evaluates spatial relationships, visual discrimination, figure ground, visual closure and visual memory. At chronological age 6 yr 2 mo, Kalynn's perceptual age was 4 yr 10 mo

    Kalynn had the most difficulty with visual closure and visual discrimination.
    That is trying to see the whole picture from parts and discrimination what is different. This is usually seen in school with reading and math skills."



    After that ARD meeting, we had our Girl Scout meeting. Our camp out is next weekend. It's been ages since I went camping. We're going to be sleeping in tents. On the hard ground. In the cold. Since I'm co leader, I have to be there, so I can't chicken out LOL I think it'll be fun though.. Kalynn's excited.

    Anyway, I guess that's it!

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home